Thursday, July 1, 2010

A New Look

So the other day something scary happened. It's not that epic but I feel I should share it anyway. As I was showering, I started to lose some of my hair. Now you may be thinking that I'm being silly and that losing hair is normal, and in fact of course it is, but this, this was an abnormal amount of hair that I had never lost before. It was coming out in clumps. I could hear it ripping, like a razor blade thinning my hair. At first I didn't freak out, but when the hair kept coming and coming, just looking at the mass of it on the shower wall told me there was something wrong. I began to cry and panic. But deep down I knew this was silly. I thought of women who actually lose their hair in clumps so large, that they are left with bald spots. I couldn't imagine being a woman with cancer or another disease that causes hair loss. It frightened me.

I calmed myself down, finished my shower and got out to do my hair. I decided I would do an experiment. I cleaned my brush out and started brushing my hair like normal. Within minutes the amount of hair that had accumulated on my brush in one sitting, should have only collected the same amount within a weeks worth of brushing. I looked in the mirror suprised that I still had hair on my head. I wish I could send you the pictures I took of this, but alas, my phone does not have internet capabilities so I can't. Anyway, I figured out later that the combination of my accutane (which highly decreases oil production so acne won't form) and all the hairspray and junk and ironing my hair over the last month had completely depleated my hair of any nutrients. With my thumb and forefinger pinched together, I could grab a peice of hair and gently pull it through my fingers, while watching it just rip in strands. It was pretty scary.

After a very intense talk with my friend we figured out a way to get my hair back to some normality ( I know this story is so dramatic isn't it?). Thank you for hair, skin, and nail suppliments! Also, a healthy deep conditioning with some olive oil and a grocery bag helped as well. But I've decided to cut my hair to a managable length so it can start fresh again. So...if you ever start to lose your hair, don't panic! Just make sure you know which medications you're taking, and the environment your hair has been in :) But my whole point in saying this is that BE GRATEFUL for your hair. haha. It is suprisingly part of a women's identity. It tell's a lot about her weirdly enough. :) And to those who have lost it due to disease, I am deeply sorry. That takes courage to bare a...bare head ;) I tip my hat to you.

So I'm thinking I have a few ideas on how to cut my hair tomorrow...let's hope I can figure out how to upload some pictures! :) Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment