Sunday, August 22, 2010

Service

It's been ages since I was on here last. I don't even recall the date! You know perhaps this blog is just for my own prosterity and no one will ever read this, and I'm ok, but I think it's about time I updated a bit. As always, I will work backwards. Today I have had this overwhelming desire to serve. I can't ever force it, it just has to eminate within you. Sometimes, being an only child, I tend to focus on myself, instead of giving of myself. I want to be the kind of person, that just sees something that needs to be recognized, or fixed or made better, and do it. I read a book called "Stargirl" Where in a small town of pretty normal and boring people who do the same things, everyone dresses the same, likes the same music and clothing, and who don't go out of there way to stand out, is a girl named Stargirl. She is one of a kind. She dresses in costume like clothes, plays happy birthday and sings on a ukelele to her fellow classmates at lunch, has a pet rat, dances in the rain, and cheers for both teams. She's always finding a way to make someones day brighter. But the people of this town don't understand her quirky ways. They think she is trying to gratify herself, making it look like she is "better" than everyone else. When in fact she is being what I like to call "christlike" and charitable. During a basketball game, one of the other players hurts himself and stargirl is there to comfort him. After that she is shunned for her different ways, and no one looks at her the same.

My point is that everyone should be a "stargirl" and do everything we can to make those around us happy. When we give of ourselves freely, make time for the important things in life, we're so much happier. I haven't been that happy for a while....I'd like to try harder. I want to brighten up someone's day because they need it. And I've been way too selfish for a long time. There's my thought of the day...service. :) More later.

1 comment: